Transitioning

August 21st, 2010

Wow. The change-over from Small Boy waking up around 8 and being dressed at some time in the general neighborhood of 9 to Small Boy waking up at 7:25 and being out the door for Kindergarten at 8 kicked our asses last week. Fortunately the transition to Kindergarten itself has gone smoothly. It’s his second year, he’s in the same room with the same teachers, and about half the kids in the class are his classmates from last year so all of that is familiar. But getting out the door on time? That’s been quite the transition after our lazy summer mornings.¬†

If you’ve got kids going back to school, how’s that going? And whether you’ve got kids or not, what’s the hardest part about summer drawing to a close for you? And what’s the best part? (Yes, I dread the grey days of winter here in the flatlands, but winter vacation skiing and sledding in the Swiss Alps? Bring it on!)

7 Responses to “Transitioning”

1. lillian on August 22, 2010 3:59 pm

The hardest part would be the new time tables, having exhausted kids cos most of the teachers are new AGAIN and ofcourse the early mornings. I do enjoy the children free mornings.. sooooo much !!

2. Claudia on August 25, 2010 7:26 am

We’re not technically going back to school, since it’s a pretty much year-round preschool. But I am busier with work, and husband just started a month-long project after some extended unemployment, and he commutes 1 1/2 hours each way. So now I’m doing all the drop off and pick up of Boo boo, and dinner cooking, and and and. It’ll be fine, but I do need to adjust.
    I hope you’re having better weather there than we are in Denmark. It’s been torrential rain and wind for days, now. Our brief and for the most part lame summer feels like it’s over. Waa!

3. Jennifer on August 26, 2010 8:53 am

Lillian – I’m happy SB’s kindergarten teachers and room are the same. Next year will be hard. !st grade is a whole different building!

Claudia – sounds like a lot! It always takes me about two weeks to adjust to new change in the workload/different distribution of life stuff and then once I have a new routine it’s generally okay. Weather at the moment is suddenly so lovely it’s a shame the Boy is back in school.

4. RC on August 30, 2010 1:59 pm

We’re starting our first year of preschool (√©cole maternelle but in Germany) in two weeks. I can’t wait. She can’t wait. We have a 50-minute drive to drop her off, so she’s got to be ready by … 7 am? Wow. I hadn’t actually calculated that yet. We’ve never been late sleepers, though, especially with two 10-month-olds.
    Re: summer’s end. What happened to summer?? Did you have a proper summer? I feel like I’m jaunting into winter without having enjoyed even three straight days of sunshine. I suppose what I need is to plan some winter wonderland time of skiing and sledding, like you say. I haven’t done that in a long time.
    Wow. Long comment. Sorry.

5. Bethany on August 31, 2010 5:19 pm

How can it be the end of summer already? I must have missed the memo this year… We only got about three weeks of hot, authentic summer weather (so strange for central Italy), and I’m bummed that we didn’t get any poolside playdates or eat gelato in the amazing shop downtown. However, I’m so excited for the girls to go to school together; they’ll be in the same class for this one year of their lives, and they are bouncing-off-the-walls thrilled. I’m also looking forward to the sudden expanse of free time each weekday. I haven’t had that in FIVE and a half years, and I have grand plans for it which make my mouth go dry and my head light up all at once. Like you said, bring it on!

6. Jennifer on September 5, 2010 8:29 pm

RC – ready by 7am? You’re a braver woman than I…

Bethany – we had an odd summer as well. A few bursts of hot days, then it would rain and turn chilly, then slowly warm up again. We had some hot days but they never seemed to stack up against each other for long.

7. Julia on September 10, 2010 10:44 am

It took a week but I think we’re nearly adjusted to the mornings again. Next week we start the after school activity round which adds complexity, but then we’ll be sorted (I hope) for the year. And 2nd grade is all so much easier than 1st!

Trackback URI | Comments are closed.