Talk to me, oh Writers of the Internets

April 1st, 2009

So it’s not just my hard-drive. My computer, the actual box and wires, is dead. It was an IBM ThinkPad and it was good to me. We had a good run. But it’s dead now and I need a new computer and the field is wide open.

So talk to me, writers and poets and bloggers of the Internets. What do you use and why. Pluses, minuses, regrets, love-affairs. Has anybody out there switched from a PC to a Mac and how did that work for you?

Looks like I’m going to have to get used to the idea of doing real work on R’s loaner. This could take a while.

10 Responses to “Talk to me, oh Writers of the Internets”

1. kristen on April 1, 2009 8:46 pm

I cannot recommend Mac highly enough. I have an old iBook G4 laptop and I adore it, though I am lusting after a new Macbook pro (the one that boasts 8 hours of battery life over 5 years). Plus, Apple has great support. Though, I guess you’d have to check on that in your area, but in the US, it’s flawless.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

2. Julia@kolo on April 2, 2009 8:10 am

Apple has excellent support in Europe too. They really go above and beyond for their customers, especially if you are just slightly push. That said, their computers are pricey and if you have your own system adminstrator at home I’d probably go with a PC. (You can add hard drives at will! Change out your fan in a moment! Upgrade your DVD burner as you like! 😉

Another consideration – are you thinking desktop or do you want to stick to a laptop?

3. Phantom Scribbler on April 2, 2009 6:56 pm

I switched to a Mac two years ago. There was a significant adjustment period, but I’ve never regretted it. Particularly because I love, love, love my writing program, which is only for Mac: http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.html

4. Sarah on April 3, 2009 12:22 am

I wish I had a mac, but they are just too pricey for me to justify for as little as I really use my home computer. I have a Gateway laptop that has served me quite well for many years.

5. Jennifer on April 3, 2009 9:22 am

Dang you writers that I admire who are using Macs! I had pretty much decided it was silly to change systems at this point in my working life and now I might have to rethink that.

Oooh, interesting looking program Phantom (and yay that you’re still reading me!). At the moment I’m focusing on poems, but still…that looks nice.

Sarah, welcome. I had a Gateway for years in grad school. Started out with their desktop (it came in a box with a cow pattern on it which I thought was awesome) and moved over to their laptop. Not if they’re big enough to have good support over here in Switzerland.

6. Ingrid on April 5, 2009 12:50 pm

I almost switched over to a Mac years ago, frustrated to no end with my PC’s crashiness… and when the fellow at the Mac shop was giving me the product tour, the Mac at the shop crashed. 😉 So I rolled my eyes and shrugged my shoulders and decided to stick with the more affordable PC — particularly with the relative frequency one needs to upgrade.

I have a desktop running XP (which is primarily for photos these days), and an Acer laptop running Vista (there’s no end to the bad press about Vista, but I haven’t personally experienced any badness).

7. Ingrid on April 5, 2009 1:02 pm

(P.S. If you do decide to stick with a PC, check out Microsoft’s OneNote. Another useful piece of writing software, good for gathering lots of different types of information together into one place.)

8. Ingrid on April 5, 2009 1:06 pm

(Or check out Writer’s Cafe for PC: http://www.writerscafe.co.uk/ This one I don’t have, but various user reviews describe it as “virtually identical” to Scrivener. …Now you’ve got me all obsessed with this…)

9. Jennifer on April 5, 2009 6:49 pm

Oh dear sorry Ingrid, I know how you like to use looking into software, organization tools, mind maps, etc as procrastination tools! Hope I didn’t send you down a rabbit hole! But thanks for the links and tips.

10. richard on April 19, 2009 4:57 am

My very first time was with a MAC, I don’t remember it well, it seems a long time ago. Bought it in LA and I think it’s still in the shed behind my cabin, in the original box. I don’t throw out my old laptops, I keep them in the shed with my journals, old pics and molding books. I’ve been using DELL for the last few years, now on a VOSTRO, and find them (PC’s) reliable and matter of fact. Not as friendly as a MAC maybe, but I don’t come to this machine for friendship.

Hope all is well in your world.